Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Identity Change

You'd think it would take Social Security more than fifteen minutes to process a name-change application. And not because of the bad reputation government offices have with efficency, but because it's a big change! The Israeli government supposedly questions travellers for an hour to decide if their reasons for wanting to enter the country are valid.

I took a number and waited ten minutes before being called by a processing agent. I turned over my paperwork, flashed a marriage and a driver's license, and was on my way.

I was happy that I wasn't stuck there for hours, a la the Beetlejuice scene in the Waiting Room for Lost Souls. But shouldn't it take a little more time? Maybe my concern isn't with the government's ability to vet people's intentions, but the ease with which you can change yourself.

No comments: