Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Yukon Experience

I'm not sure of the last time I didn't have cell phone reception for any significant amount of time. Grad school? Parts of Riverside County back in college?

My phone cut out at some point on Highway 1 on my way to Tomales Bay. But the isolation proved fruitful, because I made exciting progress on two stories.

When I emerged from the woods Monday morning, I met my old high school friend Melissa in Oakland for lunch before catching my plane. We ate at a restaurant within Jack London Square. London spent some time in Oakland, and the city/county/chamber of commerce/nice people took his cabin from Alaska and reconstructed it here with half of the original logs. Some of London's fiction would be drawn from his experiences in the Alaskan wild. It was fodder for writing that would come. Just like my time in rural Tomales Bay has been a springboard for stories.

No comments: