Sunday, May 24, 2009

"A Regular Guy" by Mona Simpson

So good. This book is so good. It's told in this amazing omniscient viewpoint that spans a whole ensemble cast of characters.

Mona Simpson is the sister of Steve Jobs. The book's biggest character, Tom Owens, is most likely based on him, although Owens' success is in biotech.

I feel like I've always had a pretty good understanding of what my husband does all day (every day, day and night) at the lab. But reading this book, I came to a richer understanding of what he does and why he does it. Maybe I know him a little better now.

If you don't like scientists, there is also Owens' illegitimate child, the child mother, Owens' girlfriend, his friend from grad school, and the family and friends of all these people. And even with this many characters, the narration moves seamlessly between each one.

No comments: