Thursday, November 26, 2009

Food Week: Thanksgiving Day


Nothing I could post here could adequately sum up this Granddaddy of all food days in America. So I won't even try. Instead, I humbly offer you a cranberry relish recipe, which my dad and I first started making when I was in high school. Of course, you can double, triple, quadruple, et cetera the recipe to fit your feasting needs. We also make this relish at Christmastime.

Recipe:
6 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups water
4 seedless tangerines, peeled, sectioned, and cut into chunks
1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
1 1/2 cups dried apricots, cut into small chunks
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

Put the water and sugar in a large pot and allow to boil, stirring occasionally. Once it boils, turn the heat down to medium and add the cranberries. Let these cook for about ten minutes, or until the cranberries start to pop and cook down. Then add the tangerines, apple and apricots. If the relish is boiling and splattering, turn heat down to medium-low. Finally, add the walnuts and allow the relish to continue cooking. If it seem too thin, raise the heat and some water to boil off. Finally, turn off the heat and allow to cook. Relish can be served either warm or chilled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say it is a CLASSIC!
Also what is even better is to substitute any other fruit you might have. This year I forgot about the apples. It does give it that crunchy fresh flavor.
YUMMMMMMM

Michelle Panik said...

I am intrigued by the tropical fruit-theme that you made this year. Maybe we can reprise it at Christmas? If they are leftovers, I have a few ideas about what to do with them.