Saturday, June 23, 2007

Carpe Diem


(Photos by Bryan O'Neill)

Tom, Greg, Bryan L, Pam, and I braved the 67-degree ocean this morning (no wetsuits, only weenies wear wetsuits in open-water swims) for the 2.5k Pier-to-Cove swim put on by the fine La Jolla Cove Swim Club. Here's my race report: it was cold. It was cold and I can't sight for shit. But it was fun.

When you're by yourself for an hour, you think about things. I thought about how Jim was always encouraging people interested in triathlon to give it a try. You've never swum in the ocean? We want you. The only bike you've ridden had training wheels? We want you. You're overweight? We want you. And we don't just want you to show up and complete the workouts or finish the races. We want you to find what you can do to help others. We want you to take those ideas you've been kicking around and make them happen.


So I swam the race with thoughts of Jim. It was a beautiful day.

No comments: