Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Bottom

Tonight, with Barack Obama's DNC convention speech, I suspect many bloggers are writing about hope. I want to write about giving up.

At last weekend's Santa Barbara Triathlon, a local triathlete was injured in a bike accident. She was paralyzed from the neck down and dependent on a respirator. Through communication with her family, she determined that she didn't want to live in such a state, and medical staff removed her breathing tube.

While I believe in people having the right to do what they want as long as no harm is done to others, this deeply troubles me. She wasn't in a coma, didn't appear to have severe brain damage, nor was she unable to communicate. And yet she gave up.

I am not indicting her or her family for this decision. Rather, it troubles me that a woman who is no stranger to hard work (she and her sister hold a RAAM record) would be in such a state that she'd elect to opt out of her life. I suppose I am lamenting the torment that life can put people through.

No comments: