Monday, August 25, 2008

Hola! Me Llamo Michelle

Today was my first spanish class. I went in feeling excited but nervous (I don't care how old you are, the first day of school is always slightly unnerving), and came out as exuberant as a child with a lollipop. I am so excited!

I studied Spanish in high school, but whether I want to admit it or not, that was quite some time ago. There have been so many times that I wished I could speak Spanish, so I finally enrolled in a community college class.

There is something wrong, though, when the course materials cost two times more than the course itself--where you get a real-live person teaching you four hours a week for fifteen weeks. Hopefully this is attributed more to the fantastic deal that is the California community college system, than a fleecing from McGraw-Hill.

Half of these course "materials" are subscriptions to online workbooks. I am skeptical that I'll learn this language by typing it as well as I would if my assignments were hand-written, but I'll keep an open mind.

2 comments:

Eric Smidt said...

Congrats on signing up for Spanish. I'm in the same boat. I took Spanish in high school and for quite some time now have wanted to get back to it and learn it again. I was never very good at it, but am interested in getting better this time. I have not gotten around to signing up for a class yet. Can't wait to hear how this goes for you.

Michelle Panik said...

Not that you don't have enough going on with the running and the impending little bundle of joy, but you should consider a CC class. It's the best deal around, and you get to remember what it's like to be nineteen again.