Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Throw Your Hands in the Air and Wave Them Like You Just Don't Care

Today was my first run in 17 days, the last one being day I turned 31 (which still seems like a clerical error). It is good to be back on the roads.

I spent part of the run behind a jogger who'd periodically pump his fist while listening to (I can only assume) uptempo music.

I am in the middle of What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. It is Murakami's meditation on running, and also on writing. At one point he talks about a mutual understanding shared by all long-distance runners. I agree. I think people who enjoy running share plenty of character traits (which I won't go into here, Murakami does a much better job in his book).

I have never pumped my fist to music while running. But I completely understand the feeling.

4 comments:

Michaela said...

I've never pumped my fist, either. But I have plenty of race photos with my hands in the air, so perhaps a fist-pump may be in my future.

Not sure whether to look forward to that or cringe ...

Unknown said...

In gym class, I used to pump my fist when I found out we *didn't* have to run.

Renee Thompson said...

Was this the half-marathon? Jeremy ran well (after just having climbed Kilimanjaro...he thought it helped get him into shape), and Jena was there with Miley. She said it was a great day.

Michelle Panik said...

This was the La Jolla Half Marathon in 2008. It's a great race.