Friday, March 20, 2009

Second-graders Shock Me. Then I Outsmart Them.


Time moves fast. I realized this today when, after reading a book about an acrobat who walks a tightrope between the Twin Towers during the buildings' construction, a student raised his hand and asked about the buildings. I said they were no longer standing, and he asked why. I asked if he remembered September 11, and he looked confused. The teacher told me the kids were born in 2000 or 2001, so wouldn't remember the terrorist attacks. I was totally shocked. Every week I read to these little people, and while I know they are young, I never realized they were that young. I guess I didn't comprehend that anyone hadn't lived through this day that affected us all so profoundly. So I ended by telling the boy that some not-very-nice people had destroyed the buildings.

Since these kids are so young, I was able to outsmart them with the second book, which was about a girl who misbehaves. One of the things she does is show her underpants to a boy on the playground. It probably would've been okay to read, but I didn't want to risk it so I skipped that page. How did I do it without arousing suspicion in some very bright second graders? I taped the pages together with removable tape, and glided right past it, from the girl lying to her class about having 100 beavers as pets to lighting Joey Whipple's shoes on fire. They didn't suspect a thing.

No comments: