Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Here is my confession: I took Latin in college so I wouldn't have to speak a language.

Now that I have begun studying language acquisition, I know this decision came from the fact that I have a very high effective filter. I hate making mistakes!

I've been observing ESL classes at a local adult school, and today's class began with a discussion of current events. The first topic was a recent face transplant, which led to a discussion of organ donation. One student said if she were in a vegetarian state--you know in a hospital and surviving on machines (and broccoli?!)--that she'd donate her organs.

Then later on, a student pronounced the word "sheet" with a short "i" sound. Say it to yourself...wait for it...yes, that's right.

And with these two mistakes, I realized that my high affective filter has caused me to miss out on a lot of fun. Perhaps after Spanish I'll take on an East Asian language--something where an extra dot on a character will mean I'm giving away my first-born.

No comments: