Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig

My brother Mark owns a motorcycle. It makes a lot of noise and kicks up dust in the desert. This book is about a totally different type of motorcycle.

The book's a modern classic, so I thought I'd see what I'd missed out on by arriving late to the seventies. The last book I read made me think about the types of books I like to read. After Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I've decided I don't like to read philosophy. Pirsig weaves together stories of a motorcycle trip, his past struggles with mental illness, and philosophy--mainly a discourse on "quality". I sometimes became impatient with the philosophy, but the first two human components were really affecting. I suppose Pirsig would philosophically disagree with my implication that philosophy isn't "human."

No comments: