Monday, December 1, 2008

[Insert Title Here]

I'm not usually a procrastinator, but I waited until the last minute with a story title because I simply couldn't think of one. I hate titles. It got so desperate that in tonight's ESL class, before things started, I looked through my picture dictionary, hoping to find a title in it. No luck. But I did find pictures of vegetables I didn't know existed. And now I know their names.

Once things got going, students practiced using the modal "should." One student has been having trouble sleeping, so the teacher asked the others to give her advice on rectifying this by using "should." The whole time I kept thinking, "I should not have waited until the last minute to come up with a story title. I should have planned ahead."

I would pay good money for a writing conference talk/workshop on how to select a title. Enough show-don't-tell panel discussions; give me something I can use. Otherwise I'll have to keep relying on the titular kindness of fellow writers and family members. Which is getting embarrassing.

No comments: