Tuesday, September 1, 2009

#27: San Ysidro Branch

Visiting Time: 2:45-3:15PM
Did I get lost on my way? Nope
Book Checked out: Historias de Miedo 1 (Alvin Schwartz)

Book Selection: 1 bookmarks
Seating: 2 bookmarks
Staff: 4 bookmarks
Architecture/Atmosphere: 4 bookmarks
Total: 11 bookmarks

After being out of town this past weekend, I am doubling up on libraries to make sure I visit all thirty-six in thirty-six days. After leaving Otay Mesa, I continued south a few more miles to the San Ysidro branch. As this semester's Spanish class looks like it will disappoint--and owing to the fact that I was right next to the Mexico border--I checked out a book of Spanish ghost stories. Si mi professora no quiere enseñar español, me puedo enseñar.

I talked with a librarian here named Mike, a substitute who fills in wherever there's a need. I've talked to quite a few of substitutes this past month, and they have all been a helluva a lot smarter than the teacher substitutes I used to have in school.

One of San Ysidro's permanent librarians (Lorena?) told me the branch opened in 1924 as a county library. It became a city library in 1957, and in 1984 was remodeled and expanded (see picture below). At some point in the future, it's supposed to get replaced with something even bigger.

Pictures:
(Side view. Until 1984, the library was just the left half of the building.)

No comments: