Thursday, September 10, 2009

What You Have Become

At Starbucks this morning, I overheard a man talking on his cell phone. First he made a business call. Then he called someone else, and said he was at Starbucks before heading into a nearby medical building for his first radiation treatment. He said he had to start his treatments now, because the cancer was so far along. Then he made another business call, and proceeded to talk about one of their employees. It seemed that the guy on the other end wanted to can her, but this man kept saying "Nah, she's doing all right."

I'm not saying he had any type of religious conversion, but I wondered if his cancer had changed how he treated people. Maybe the diagnosis had made him realize how caught up he'd become in corporate life.

Like how something can change so much, but gradually this change becomes routine, and you forget where you used to be. I am thinking of my neighbor who's always screaming at her children. Surely there was a time when their house wasn't filled with curse words? Does she ever think of it?

Thoughts on my library journey are coming. I need one more day of perspective.

No comments: