Thursday, September 3, 2009

#30: University Community Branch

Visiting Time: 11:45-12:30PM
Did I get lost on my way? Nope
Book Checked out: The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exúpery)

Book Selection: 2 bookmarks
Seating: 1 bookmarks
Staff: 4 bookmarks
Architecture/Atmosphere: 2 bookmarks
Total: 9 bookmarks

I came to this library knowing what I wanted. Over breakfast, I'd told Julie how I'd enjoyed reading a ghost story to Bryan in Spanish ("¿Dónde está mi d-e-e-e-d-o?"), and she'd told me how much she'd enjoyed reading The Little Prince in a college French class. The La Jolla branch didn't have a copy, but the UC one did. Reading this book makes me want to grow my own perfect, single rose. So far, the only two books I've read cover to cover in this library marathon have been juvenile/children's books. And no, I'm not embarrassed about this.

I must say I was underwhelmed by this branch. Of course, its books are as good as the ones in the swanky La Jolla branch. But there were only four padded chairs, the rest being hard wood. And then there was the disagreeable patron who was unhappy with his computer's wireless connection (I think?) and let the staff know it. I like to think my days at Starbucks have improved my eavesdropping skills, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what his beef was. To be fair, I'm not sure the staff understood either, and quite possibly not even the man himself. Can't we all just get along? Maybe tomorrow I'll check out something about Rodney King.

So I took this charming children's book home, and read its second half in peace (and heat!) in the backyard.

Picture:
(Unfortunately, these are the best seats in the house.)

No comments: