Monday, September 21, 2009

Beginnings and Endings

Today, the Tri Club has a new President. Very soon, it will have a new Membership Coordinator. After a three years in the position, it's a good time for me to move on.

When I was growing up, my mom used to say that I had a problem with beginnings and endings. I think I had a problem with beginnings and endings that I didn't want to happen. I am completely content to be leaving this Tri Club post.

It is fortunate that people go through different phases. A few years ago, I might've considered it a personal failure that I no longer want to constantly be training for a race. But I've come to realize that if people did continue with something indefinitely, they probably wouldn't discover anything new--they wouldn't progress or evolve. And if they did discover new things, soon they wouldn't have any time to sleep, so chock-full would their lives be. I don't believe there's ever a point of no-return. And while I also don't believe in quitting prematurely, I believe that there is always something new, whether they are a skydiving nonagenarian, or a thirty-year-old writer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly right. Like a new Car or a new Motorcycle or a new Visitor this weekend :-)

Michelle Panik said...

...a new car called a Mini Cooper that will be here October 3!