Sunday, September 6, 2009

#34: San Carlos Branch

SAN CARLOS BRANCH (You gotta have friends)
Visiting Time: 12:20-12:35PM
Did I get lost on my way? Not with Bryan as my driver.
Book Checked out: Good Work: When excellence and ethics meet (Howard Gardner, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, and William Damon)

Book Selection: 2 bookmarks
Seating: 1 bookmarks
Staff: 4 bookmarks
Architecture/Atmosphere: 1 bookmarks
Total: 8 bookmarks

We are almost there! After this library, I have just two more to go. Thanks so much for accompanying me on this odd, exciting trip.

Bryan and I had originally planned to hit the Central library today. But I wasn't sure I was up to such a challenge on a Sunday. Some people are intimidated by their bosses; I'm intimidated by multiple-story libraries. I think I'll be ready to take it on come Tuesday, when it will be my penultimate library.

The San Carlos branch felt like my elementary school's library. Pretty basic and utilitarian. But, of course, its guts--its books--are as good as the ones in the swanky Mission Valley branch. Bryan checked out the magazines while I looked for my book of the day. Today my interest was piqued by Good Work. Who doesn't want to feel good about the money they earn?

While I was reading this book, a Russian couple came in. I looked up and smiled at the man, who then loudly replied, "Hello." Then he and his wife went to the Russian language section, where they proceeded to argue about books. Too charming.

The clerk who checked out my book said there was no timeline for the construction of the new San Carlos branch. But check back in a decade or so, and they may have broken ground.

Pictures:
(Where the new San Carlos library will be. In one or two decades.)


(Beautiful, no?)

4 comments:

Lakin said...

yay, almost done! what are you going to do to celebrate completion? probably not read a book.......

Maybe go see "Julie & Julia" ?... if you haven't already, that is. It's a good one.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

BTW, use GPS jammer to disable all secret transmitters in your room or office.