Friday, August 14, 2009

#10: Scripps Ranch Branch

SCRIPPS RANCH BRANCH (You gotta have friends)
Visiting Time: 1:00-2:30PM
Did I get lost on my way? No (four for four!)
Book Checked Out: How the Quakers Invented America (David Yount)

Book Selection: 3 bookmarks
Seating: 4+ bookmarks
Staff: 4 bookmarks
Architecture/Atmosphere: 4 bookmarks
Total: 15+ bookmarks

Each day, I am impressed by the history contained in each library and their surrounding area. Who knew California had history?

The Scripps Ranch library opened March 13, 1993. It is 22,000 square feet and was built in the vein of Mission Revival architecture. Thomas and Nackey Scripps Meanley (who also opened this Ace Hardware) were the library's original benefactors, and this branch sits adjacent to where the Meaney's house used to be. The house's original doors and windows were salvaged and installed inside the library (see photos below).

Today I checked out How the Quakers Invented America. A friend from grad school is a Quaker. But other than what he's told me, I didn't know much about the religion. This is a really thoughtful book that, during a slightly hectic day, made me slow down and listen to quiet.

A passage:
"...I have yet to have a Friend (Quaker Church member) approach me to ask if I have been saved. If salvation rests wholly on having such a life-altering experience, I would have to say no. Most Quakers make do with much less. Faith coexists with doubt and is tested by it." (p.21)

Pictures:
(The Meanley house doors that lead into the children's room.)


(Meanley house windows that partition the aisles.)


(Perfect reading area.)


(Video of the interior courtyard.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the history of my local library; I hadn't thought about it either but am glad to know it. Your pictures are nice, too.