Wednesday, August 19, 2009

#16: Linda Vista Branch

Visiting Time: 3:00-4:15PM
Did I get lost on my way? No, of course not. I just took in the sights of University Heights, Kensington, and North Park first.
Book Checked Out: The Undomestic Goddess (Sophie Kinsella)

Book Selection: 3 bookmarks
Seating: 3 bookmarks
Staff: 4 bookmarks
Architecture/Atmosphere: 3 bookmarks
Total: 13 bookmarks

By the time I found this branch, I was a little slap-happy. I entered thinking I'd throw caution to the wind and check out something by Jackie Collins. But when I found her titles on the shelf, I just couldn't go through with it. So I settled for chick lit, and Sophie Kinsella's The Undomestic Goddess.

I am five chapters in, and must admit it's a fun book. The first-person present voice doesn't quite work for me, but I'm not necessarily reading it as something I want to emulate.

Unlike yesterday's experience, this branch was brimming with people actually looking for, checking out, and reading books. While I was reading the Kinsella book in the reading/study area (see below photo), a man came up and began looking through the bound collections of National Geographic. He finally chose an edition from the 1990's (I only saw the decade, not the year; I didn't stare that obviously) and spend twenty minutes looking through it.

The San Diego Public Library Foundation has posted a short news item about my journey. They send out an e-newsletter, which is a great way to stay up-to-date on what's happening (especially if your local branch doesn't have a "Friends of" group). If you live in San Diego, sign up for it!

Pictures:
(A woefully backlit photo of a cool raised reading area.)


(Unlike the College branch, this one is chock full of books.)

No comments: