Tuesday, August 18, 2009

#15: City Heights/Weingart Branch

Visiting Time: 12:30-1:15PM
Did I get lost on my way? Ugh. Yes.
Book Checked Out: About Alice (Calvin Trillin)

Book Selection: 2 bookmarks
Seating: 3 bookmarks
Staff: 4 bookmarks
Architecture/Atmosphere: 2 bookmarks
Total: 11 bookmarks

I once attended a party where a couple learned the sex of their pending baby. It was written on a card inside an envelope, and when the husband pulled it out and said "it's a boy," their faces both alighted. It was a private moment that I felt humbled, and slightly embarrassed, to have witnessed. Every day that I pull up to a library, I feel an iota of this excitement. I never know what I'll get. Both of yesterday's branches were small, and not a whole lot to look at. Although--like a book--you can't judge a library by its cover, because inside they're all the same: they hold books.

The City Heights Branch, though, is in a hip new building. The fireplace chairs on the lower level (photo below) are great, perhaps bested only by the chairs on the upper level.

My trip was slightly dampened by the realization that while there were a good deal of people in this library, they all seemed to either be on the internet, or waiting for the internet. Rows of bookcases stood like silent, dignified statues--like members of the Terracotta Army--just waiting to be called to action.

The trip was then further dampened when a security guard told me photography was prohibited. Which is strange, because I've never seen this rule posted anywhere. The fact that this branch needs a security guard tells me they must have problems, so perhaps the guard was worried I'd do something nefarious (what, I don't know).

After putting away my camera, I checked out About Alice. This is a book I saw at the Scripps Ranch Branch, and regretted not checking out.

Pictures:
(Ah, the end of summer.)


(Ottomans! Ottomans in a library!)


(View from the upstairs study area.)


(Old reserve card from a Laura Ingalls Wilder biography.
Those three hand-written words are names of borrowers.)

No comments: